Maintaining your Air Conditioning Unit
It may seem strange that winter is the best time to be thinking about your air conditioning system. You are cranking up the heat as you watch the snow fall and to get your mind thinking about your AC unit may be a little tricky. However, now is the best time to prepare. You don’t want to wait until the heat of summer days in Utah to make sure you have a properly working air conditioning system. Suffering in a hot house while you wait days for a busy service pro for air conditioner repair and pay peak season prices is something everyone would want to avoid.
Regular Professional Maintenance
Basic maintenance is required on all units when they have sat idle for months. There are a few steps to take to get your AC unit ready for summer and keep it running in tip-top shape. Let’s start with calling a professional HVAC company for:
- Inspection and Service: Call a factory certified comfort expert to perform a tune-up on the AC unit. A technician will completely inspect the unit both on the inside and outside of your home. They will note any potential problems or issues and relate them to you and recommend air conditioner repair if needed.
- A programmable thermostat- One advantageous thing to help with your energy bill is to have a programmable thermostat installed. With all the smart technology available these days, it is easy to customize your air conditioning schedule even when you are not at home.
- An Upgrade- It may be time to invest in a new HVAC system if your current air conditioning unit does not sufficiently cool your home. The one you have now may be costing you a lot more money if it is running efficiently. Newer systems are made to be more energy efficient and are of higher quality and more effective.
On top of calling a professional, there are a few simple things you can do to prepare your HVAC system and your home for the summer.
- Test your AC – Flip the switch. Make sure it turns on and is working properly. Check the airflow and feel the temperature of the air.
- Check the outdoor unit- Clear the area of any debris. Remove anything that is surrounding or touching your HVAC unit. There should not be any plants, branches, or other items within two feet of the structure.
- Check Filters- Either clean or replace them depending what type you have. This is a very simple step, but super important. Filters that get dirty restrict the air flow and cause the unit to run less efficiently. It also recirculates the dust back throughout your home. The air here in Utah is bad enough. You don’t want to be adding anything else to the air you breathe.
- Inspect Vents- Go to each vent in your house and examine each one. Remove any dust or debris. Open the vents where you want cool air to flow. This aids your HVAC to evenly distribute the cool air throughout the house.
Call a PRofessional HVAC Company
Following these basic maintenance steps will improve the function, efficiency, and longevity of your air conditioning unit. You will be better prepared to manage the Utah heat that lies ahead. You can save some money and avoid future issues by calling a service pro. The factory-certified comfort experts at Utah’s Best Heating & Air are here to keep you and your family comfortable this summer. You can count on Utah’s Best for inspections, air conditioner repair, tune-ups, and new installations. Call us at (801) 783-0848 for all your HVAC needs.